Cider Cellar Assistant
About The Position
Wigle Whiskey and Threadbare Cider and Mead are hell bent on creating a vital, educated community around the highest quality, most inventive, bursting-with-terroir fermented and distilled products in the world. We make high quality spirits and ciders from the best local ingredients, treat one another as family and customers as friends. We invest in our communities to support the agricultural, social and economic systems of which we are apart.
We are excited to accept candidates for the role of Cider Cellar Assistant at the Threadbare Cider House location. This is a full-time role. The most essential function of the role is assisting in the production of top-notch fermented ciders and mead.
Applicants must include a cover letter.
Essential functions include, but are not limited to the following:
- Cleaning and Organization
- The cleanliness of the cellar is imperative to the production of high quality ciders:
- Production Floor Sweeping & Mopping (Daily)
- Production Bathroom Clean Up (Daily)
- Mop Room Clean Up (Weekly)
- Break Down Corrugate and remove unneeded boxes (Daily)
- Wipe down Walls (Weekly)
- Wipe Down Tanks
- Follow CIP protocols for sanitation and operation of equipment
- Operate pumps to clean fermenters, transfer juice, inoculate, rack off lees, and blend cider
- Prepare additions for depectinization, yeast pitching, fining, nutrients, sulfites, adjuncts, bottle conditioning etc.
- Perform routine laboratory analysis: including gravities, pH, carbonation testing, temperature setpoints and QC checks.
- Directly responsible for maintaining quality standards in all areas of Cider Production.
- The ideal candidate will be responsible when precisely mixing chemicals, carbonating tanks under pressure, racking/ filtering, maintaining accurate records and performing other specialized tasks around the cellar.
- Set up, operation and breakdown of bottling, labeling, kegging equipment.
- Ability to perform routine maintenance on bottling line as needed and perform quality checks during bottling run.
- Operate batch pasteurizer at consistent times/temperatures to ensure shelf stability of products with residual sweetness.
Wigle Whiskey and Threadbare Cider and Mead are proud to be equal opportunity workplaces.We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status.
This is a physical position. The Cellar Technician must be able to consistently lift 50 pounds, must be able to stand for long periods of time, and be comfortable multitasking. Due to the technical nature of the job and the inherent risks of working in a production facility, doing this job safely must be the first priority.
- Experience in a cidery, winery or brewery a plus but not required
- Bachelor’s Degree or Associate's degree a plus but not required
- Previous forklift experience or a willingness to learn forklift operation a plus but not required