Front of House Manager
About The Position
General Manager, Wigle Whiskey Distillery
Wigle Whiskey and Threadbare Cider and Mead are hell bent on creating a vital, educated community around the highest quality, most inventive, bursting-with-terroir fermented and distilled products in the world. We make high quality spirits and ciders from the best local ingredients. We invest in our communities to support the agricultural, social and economic systems of which we are apart.
We are excited to accept candidates for the role of General Manager at the Wigle Whiskey Distillery location in Pittsburgh's bustling Strip District. This is a full-time role. The most essential function of the role is facilitating top-notch learning, drinking and dining experience for our customers. The manager is also integral in fostering this top-notch experience through training and managing a team of associates.
Applicants must include a cover letter and must have weekend and evening availability.
Other essential functions include, but are not limited to the following:
Staffing and People Management
We work always to get to "yes" for customers at Wigle. We look for a General Manager that will build a pro-active, positive working environment and will support our team to help get to yes.
- Cultivate a Positive Culture of Learning and Friendly Collaboration amongst our team
- Manage Distillery FOH staffing schedule for designated open hours
- Fill any shifts that are not filled by team members
- Train front of house team members
- Oversee and schedule Distillery AGM(s)
- Open and/or Close Distillery
- Ensure staff abide by employee policies
- Provide regular daily feedback to staff
- Communicate necessary Company information to staff
- Take a hands-on approach to leading shifts, including leading by example in Cleaning the Site and Serving Customers
Direct Customer Service
All employees at Wigle Whiskey are responsible for direct customer service, including Managers. As such it is the GM's responsibility to ensure each customer leaves delighted. Managers are expected to lead by example. This includes daily food and bar service. Wigle Managers are hands on and help in service wherever needed.
- Move throughout the tasting rooms during service to ensure customer expectations are being met
- Instill a customer first mentality with staff
- Ensure each customer is greeted when entering the space
- Treat every customer complaint as a learning experience
- Be personally attentive to customer needs and check in on tables regularly
- Bus tables, help with dishes, bar and foodservice
- Train staff in proper customer service interactions both during onboarding and regularly throughout service
Site Stewardship & Cleanliness
All firmly believes that a clean, organized site is critical to an effect work and customer environment. The General Manager is expected to contribute to a fine level of detail in cleaning, organization and upkeep of the site.
- Be finely tuned to the cleanliness and upkeep of your site
- Develop opening & closing checklists for staff to complete after each shift
- Work with team during downtime on cleaning projects so that everyone is always working to make the space better and cleaner
- Maintain inventory levels on bottles, cocktails, and dry goods
- Service major tasting room appliances when necessary including ice machine, dishwasher, and draft lines
- Update paper and online menus
- Ensure site is meeting all COVID-19 safety measures
- Update all menus, both website and physical versions
- Communicate with the production team regarding any usage of shared space
Events are an important way we celebrate new releases and invite different members of our Pittsburgh community to our Distillery. The General Manager should welcome events in all shapes and sizes and be ready to be flexible to different service styles and staffing needed for events.
- Fill staffing requirements for all programming and private events
- Complete set-up/clean-up for programming and private events according to event details from respective event managers
- Work closely and collaboratively with Executive Chef and Kitchen team members
- Inform Kitchen staff of any site changes including hours, menu, events
- Lead discussions on food program progress and successes at weekly Managers Meeting with Executive Chef
- Ensure smooth and cohesive service between dining room and kitchen
Admin & Training Responsibilities
- Track daily Square sales to make data driven decisions about staffing and menu planning
- Attend weekly Managers Meeting every Wednesday
- Monitor and gain online reviews on platforms such as but not limited to Google Reviews and Yelp
- Resolve customer issues in a timely manner and train staff to mitigate repeat issues
- Train staff on new spirit releases or returning products
Wigle Whiskey and Threadbare Cider and Mead are proud to be equal opportunity workplaces.We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status.